Thursday 15 March 2012

Supplementation

As my first blog as a Nutrabolics Brand Ambassador, I find it only natural that my blog topic be based on supplementation.
Lately, it has come to my attention that many people are misinformed, or under informed, about the benefits that a proper supplementation regimen can have on your training and physique. I should point out that I realize that there are reasons that people may choose not to supplement, or that others may have different views on supplementation, but since this is my blog, I am going to share my supplement info and plan, which helps me maximize my gains in the gym every day. Also, supplements are NOT a substitute for hard work in the gym, and a clean diet. Paired with a consistent training schedule and diet plan tailored to your individual goals, proper supplementation can complement all of your hard work, and preserve that hard earned muscle!
My first rant: If you cannot explain why you should take one product over another, then DON’T take it. Be knowledgeable about what you are putting in your body. Flashy labels and marked up prices do not tell you anything about a supplement’s quality. Examine the ingredients. Ask questions to the employees who work at the store, these people are generally a wealth of information, and have most likely tested the product themselves. Ask a friend for reviews, but keep in mind, that everyone’s goals are different.
If you can only buy ONE product, I recommend protein as an essential supplement. Whey protein is one of the most useful fat burning tools. 1: when taken post workout, it helps to repair muscle fibers that were put under stress during your workout. 2: Muscle speeds metabolism, burning calories while it repairs itself, therefore, the more muscle you have, the more fat you burn, even at rest! 3: Whey protein keeps you fuller for longer, and when in a rush, a protein shake can hold you over until the next mealtime.
Supplementation is a huge part of my daily routine. Especially since my goal is to maximize and preserve my muscle gains, proper timing, and supplements are essential to my goal. Timing is everything. This is what I am currently taking to give me the best pumps and promote the best recovery post workout!
Pre: Pre cardio, a stimulant based product works for me. Stimulant based products like caffeine, geranium and ephedrine raise the heart rate to get me pumped for cardio. I like Thermal XTC by Nutrabolics, always makes me feel great! Because of the vasoconstrictor properties, stimulants should be avoided before (about 3 hours) a heavy weight training session. To build muscle, the goal is to promote maximum blood flow to the muscle tissue.
Pre weights: I like to stick to an arginine based supplement before lifting some serious weights. Arginine is a vasodilator, and promotes blood flow to the muscle being worked. That’s the “pump” that you feel, when it feels like the muscle just became twice the size! This “pump”, allows an abundance of nutrient rich blood flow into the muscle, which is exactly where you need it, in order for the muscle recovery process to begin. (Besides the fact that it makes you look HUGE! Haha). Beta Alanine is also a great pre workout ingredient. Beta works to eliminate the lactic acid buildup in the muscle, therefore increasing muscle endurance. I also include creatine in my pre workout stack. Creatine has been around forever. If you notice that a product has been a workout supplement standard for years….then it is most likely still around for a reason. It WORKS. Creatine aids to produce more ATP (energy) in the muscle, which helps when you are pushing the last forced rep… These are the reps that count! Note: natural creatine levels in women are a lot higher than men, so women don’t necessarily benefit from a creatine “loading phase” as males would. Also, with creatine, there is also a poteintial for water retention, as part of its action is to pull water into the muscle cells. Because of this risk, I tend to cut back or eliminate creatine, prior to show date. Swollen is my favorite pre workout, always delivers the best pumps!  
Intra: Branched Chain Amino Acids are my favorite supplement! The building blocks of protein, BCAA’s should be consumed intra workout to promote immediate repair of the muscle fibers. (quicker repair, bigger hypertrophy). BCAA’s also help with endurance and prevents fatigue. I have experienced the most personal gains after supplementing with BCAA’s. Anabolic State has the highest BCAA count on the market, making it the most concentrated, and it tastes great. Orange flavor Anabolic State and Blue Gatorade is my daily cocktail! Gatorade is a great intra workout, as it is dextrose based. (TIP: If you look closely at the labels, the powdered Gatorade is dextrose based, whereas the bottled Gatorade is fructose based…opt for dextrose as fructose takes longer for the body to break down). Dextrose is the quickest absorbing carb, therefore giving an immediate insulin spike. This is one of the only times of the day when it is good to spike insulin levels. Insulin is conductive to muscle growth when timed correctly.
  • Glycogen is stored sugar in the muscle, which is used for energy when strength training.
  • Lifting causes glycogen to be used and depleted, leaving your muscles tired, weak and flat. 
  •  Sugars spike insulin levels. 
  •  Dextrose breaks down and is converted into glycogen.
Manipulating insulin levels during training is beneficial to muscle growth, however, insulin spikes at other points of the day, especially late at night, will store excess sugars in the form of fat.
Post: Protein is essential post workout. The best time to consume your post workout shake is within 15 minutes after you drop the last weight. This is when muscles are the most vulnerable. An isolate is the purest form of protein and is broken down the quickest, for your muscles to use. Isobolic protein is an isolate protein with a blend of casein as well. I like this product because the quick acting isolates act to replenish muscle right away, and the casein in it provides a slow acting protein source as well, so that I know my muscles are constantly receiving muscle building protein throughout the day. It also keeps me fuller for longer than other proteins. Also in my post workout shake, I include glutamine to help with the repair of muscles, and Waxybolic as a starchy carb, for further glycogen replenishment. Waxy Maize works similar to dextrose. I have heard waxy described as superior to dextrose, because as a starch it causes less post consumption crash that you may notice from dextrose (ie sugar high). Waxy promotes nutrient retention in the cells, and can draw the water from under the skin into the muscle cells, also creating fullness and strength. Waxy maize can be taken intra as well, but can be a bit heavier on the stomach than dextrose.

There ya have it! That’s my current workout workout regimen! Working hard in preparation for WBFF Worlds this August in Mississauga ON! Follow my progress pics along my journey on my Facebook athlete page WBFF Pro Celia Hodder


No comments:

Post a Comment